If you are looking for a way to engage with your kids and keep them busy, making homemade slime is an easy and fun way to do that. Not only is making homemade slime super fun, but it can also be a great educational experience for your children. You can use slime to teach them about different planets and galaxies. After you learn the basic technique of making slime, you can come up with different variations of slime.
Be it at your child’s next birthday party or just a regular party, making homemade slime is an amazingly cost-effective way to keep the party entertaining. There are different ways in which you can use homemade slime, including giving it away in cute bags, making ready-made slime pots or making DIY kits for gifting to others.
You will have an unlimited choice for coming up with a wide variety of different slime shapes and colors. You can mix plain colors to create pastel or vivid tones or make beautiful unicorn and rainbow effects. If you want to create a sparkling effect, just go ahead and add some glitter into the slime. Just make sure to keep your little ones from eating the slime. Slime can be toxic when ingested.
A typical slime recipe uses school glue or borax, together with some food coloring and baking soda. The Polyvinyl acetate in the school glue and the chemical sodium tetraborate in borax will make a glue-like sticky mixture when properly combined.
Recipe for Making Homemade Slime
There are many different recipes for making slime. We have talked about one of the most common ones below. You can alter the recipe according to your choice by adding different glitters and colors into it. If you want to make a larger quantity, increase the amount of the ingredients. For instance, if you are using 100ml of glue for making one ball of slime, you can add 200ml glue for making 2 balls of slime.
We call this the classic slime recipe. Not only is it extremely easy to make, but you will only need a few key ingredients. You will have no problem with keeping your hands clean throughout the process, making this also a wonderful option for little kids.
Duration: 10 minutes
Quantity: For making one small ball
- 100ml of plain white school glue
- Half a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda, commonly known as baking soda
- Some get food coloring
- One teaspoon of contact lens cleaning liquid
1. Measure the glue and squeeze it out into a large mixing glue (you can also use a measuring bottle to keep the quantity of the glue right).
2. Add the baking soda into the mixture and mix it thoroughly.
3. Next, you will add a drop or two of any food coloring of your choice. Keep in mind that the color gets brighter as the mixture sets. Therefore, add the food coloring gradually. For pastel colors, add less food coloring and if you want a brighter, more vivid look, add more of the food coloring. Mix thoroughly until the color is even throughout the slime mixture.
4. Add the contact lens cleaning solution into the mixture and mix it thoroughly.
5. Let it sit for a while. After the mixture is formed, take it out of the mixing bowl and knead it. Knead it well on a flat surface and use your palms to do it. It might be a little sticky in the start but in about 30 seconds you will get a smooth and softball.
6. At this point, you can add any glitter of your choice to the mixture. Use your hands to incorporate the glitter evenly throughout the mixture.
7. Store in an airtight bottle with a lid.
Safety Precautions to Follow While Making Slime
Make sure to wash your hands before and after making slime. Ensure that all the bowls and the workspace is well-cleaned afterward. All the slime ingredients should be kept away from the reach of children. They should be kept in airtight containers with a tight lid. If you are using borax in your slime recipe, make sure to wear gloves. Using borax to make slime has long been implicated in causing second and third-degree burns. If you want to be extra careful and safe, you can use eye protection as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make my slime fluffier?
If you want to make the slime fluffier, try adding a little white shaving cream after you add the food coloring to the mixture.
How to make more slime?
If you want to increase the quantity of your slime, just double or triple the ingredients used in the recipe above.
How to make my slime less sticky?
Sticky slime can be very hard to work with. If you face this problem, try adding a drop more of the contact lens cleaning solution into the mixture.
Why is my slime falling apart?
If your slime is not coming together, try switching up the contact lens cleaning solution to a branded and high quality one.
How to make a marbled or unicorn slime?
If you want to make a marbled or unicorn slime, use two or more food colors. Add glitter to the mixture if you want a little sparkly effect. Make individual batches of slime, adding the different coolers separately to each batch. Roll each batch of the slime mixture into a long sausage shape. Stack each one next to each other, twirl it around and knead it well.
How to make a universe slime?
If you want your slime to look like stars or planets in the universe, use red and blue food colorings. Add 3 drops of red and 6 drops of blue to get the perfect purple color. Add light-colored glitter to the final slime mixture. Light-colored glitter will stand out more vividly against the dark purple slime universe. Keep folding and pressing the slime mixture until you are happy with the outcome.