The Princess Bride film is a movie adaptation of a fantasy adventure novel of 1973 “The Princess Bride” written by William Goldman’s. The book was a huge success since the day of its release and remains a success to this day. Even though throughout his career William Goldman has given many hits, but according to him the amount of responses he got on The Princess Bride is more than all of his other work combine. And it is no surprise after the huge success of the novel; the film has also become such a famous cultural staple.
What Made The Princess Bride so Special?
There are so many aspects to the film ‘The Princess Bride’ that affects people in a way; it’s touching sense of humor; the way story manages a genuine routine while also taking some qualities of older tales like Robin Hood and The Count of Monte-Cristo, with having a heartfelt story and moral of its own; the scenarios of perils and the unlikely ways that the character escapes them; the unforgettable catchphrases; the memorable quotes and dialogues that were admired and loved by the audience. All that thing is a prove of how well- written “The Princess Bride” was, the story itself proved that a story can be epic, stirring, and memorable without taking it too seriously.
Despite how popular this movie is to this day, the movie only performed modestly at the box office. The movie became a cult classic when it was released on home video. The movie now holds 97% the rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has been awarded 84th spot twice on the Writers’ Guild of America’s 100 Best Screenplays of All Time.
If you have watched this film or read its novel, you know how good the writing was on this movie. in the princess bride you’ll find all kinds of quotes from romantic quotes to hilarious quotes, and to take you back to the adventurous world of the princess bride we have gathered some of the best quotes from the movie and novel.
The Princess Bride Quotes
1. “Life isn’t fair, it’s just fairer than death, that’s all.”
2. “Life is pain, anyone who says otherwise is obviously selling something!”
3. “This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.”
4. “There are no words to contain all my wisdom. I am so cunning, crafty and clever … I told you there were not words invented yet to explain how great my brain is … ”
5. “Fool!” cried the hunchback. “You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is ‘Never get involved in a land war in Asia,’ but only slightly less well-known is this: ‘Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line’.”
6. “- The PrincessBride: We’ll never survive.
– Westley: Nonsense. You’re only saying that because no one ever has.”
7. “- The PrincessBride: You can die slowly, cut into a thousand pieces.
– Westley: Tsk, tsk. That’s hardly complimentary, Highness. Why lose your venom on me?
– The princess bride: You killed my love.
– Westley: It’s possible. I kill a lot of people”
8. “- Westley: If you’re in such a hurry, you could lower a rope or a tree branch or find something useful to do.
– Inigo Montoya: I could do that. I have some rope up here, but I do not think you would accept my help since I am only waiting around to kill you.
– Westley: That does put a damper on our relationship.”
9. ‘To the pain’ means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
10. “You only think I guessed wrong,” said the Sicilian, his laughter ringing loudly. “That’s what’s so funny. I switched glasses when your back was turned.”
11. “- Inigo Montoya: It’s very strange. I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it’s over, I don’t know what to do with the rest of my life.
– Westley: Have you ever considered piracy?”
12. “- Westley: Give us the gate key.
– Yellin: I have no gate key.
– Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, tear his arms off.
– Yellin: Oh, you mean this gate key.”
13. “And now it is down to you. And now it is down to me.”
14. “Widows happen. Every day—don’t they, Your Highness?”
15. “I have the keenest mind that has ever been turned to unlawful pursuits . . . ”
16. “When I was your age, television was called books.”
17. “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!”
18. “He must have out planned and outthought Vizzini and he will tell me how to break through the castle and kill the six-fingered beast.”
19. “- Inigo Montoya: I do not mean to pry, but you don’t by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
– Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?”
20. “- Miracle Max: It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead. There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there’s usually only one thing you can do.
– Inigo Montoya: What’s that?
– Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.”
If any of these quotes made you smile or refresh your old memories, then don’t forget to share WishaAndGreet with your friends.