To decorate your and home, drawing room or bedroom and give it a more beautiful look, framed photos are one of the best possible solutions for it. It can be done in any house whether you are moving to a new one want to decorate the current one. The good thing about framed photos is that you can arrange them in your style. A stylish modern chosen frame and a correct size are the ingredients of it.
Picture Frame Sizes
To have a good look at your pictures and decorated home, the correct sized frame is the first thing. There are about a million different picture frame sizes. Some of these commonly used sizes include 4×6, 5×7, 6×8, 8×10, 11×14, 16×20, 20×24, 24×28, 20×30, 24×36 and many more.
Standard Picture Frame Sizes:
The 4×6 and 5×7 are used for standard size pictures in a bedroom or on side tables of a bed. These frames are commonly used for 35mm photography. These are also known as custom frames as they are frequently used frames for domestic purposes. The 5×7 frame can fit various prints inside it. This frame is used to have a focus on a particular person. These prints depend on the thickness of matting which can be included in the frame.
The 8×10 size is larger than 4×6 and 5×7. This frame is commonly used for portraits or group photos. This frame can also be used for hanging your graduation photos in the hall.
Other Commonly Used Picture Frame Sizes:
The 16×20 frame is used for small posters that can be hanged on the wall as well as the side table of a drawing room. A small sized calendar or a reminder of day to day activities can also be installed in this frame. If you are using this frame for an image, make sure the resolution is excellent and is not blurry as it exceeds the standard size. Similarly, size 20×30 and 24×36 is mostly used for similar purposes. A picture of an ocean or other bigger print picture can be installed in this frame and placed at the center of the wall that can be attractive. A 22×32 size frame is a big poster and does not necessarily need matting. The print inside this frame can be of the same size as the frame so that the picture can look big.
Frame sizes with mat opening and image sizes:
Size 8×10 frame is also used for standard size pictures. In this size, the mat opening size is 4.5×6.5 and the picture size in this frame can be 5×7 for an elegant and professional look. For 11×14, the mat opening size should be 7.5×9.5 and the image size should be 8×10. Similarly, for the 16×20 size frame, mat opening should be 10.5×13.5 and the image size should be 11×14. For the 20×24 size frame, mat opening should be 15.5×19.5 and the size of picture inside this frame should be 16×20. For 24×36 and 30×40, mat opening size should include 19.5×29.5 and 21.5×31.5 respectively. For these frames, the picture size should be 20×30 and 22×32 respectively. However, these sizes are not final and can be varied by manufacturers.
|Frame size||Image Size||Mat opening|
Tips for choosing the correct sized frame:
- The first and most important thing while buying a frame is to have a clear idea about the space you have on your wall or tables.
- Once you get an idea about the available space, you then have to decide whether you want to install a bigger frame or a few smaller frames.
- After that, you should decide about the photos you want to install. Either you want to have a family photo, individual photos or a photo of some famous place or some kind of scenery.
- Matting is an important ingredient that affects the size of the photograph. A mat is available in different colors, sizes, and designs. So, it is important to have an attractive mat in a frame of a picture that should suit the wall and picture.
- Another important thing while choosing the right frame is that while you are buying a frame, take a copy of your picture or painting with you to the shop. This will give a clear idea of what you want to choose.
- For a casual or simple art, a lighter frame should be chosen and for some formal or elegant art or picture, a darker and much heavier frame should be chosen.
- It is important to have the new painting relevant to the old one (one you already have on your wall). This will complete your current decor and will give it a much elegant look.
- For having a unique look at your art or picture, ensure that your frame color is not similar to the wall color.
- The last important thing in choosing a frame is that you have a measure of all the aspects i-e; the space you have, the mats you want to have and the frames that are already on your wall and store.
Different types of frames:
- The gallery frame is used to have a set of memorable pictures that can be kept together.
- The modern frame is used to give a new look to your unique pictures.
- The floating frame is for displaying a single picture in your room.
- The deep-set frame is for displaying the photos of beautiful sights that can either be artistic or captured.
- Canvas prints are a frame used for hanging a family photo, wedding photo or a photo of a baby that can remind you of your memorable events.
- The tabletop frame is placed on the table to fill the space with every kind of picture.
- The photo holder is a frame that has Brass Easel, Walnut Print Stand, and Brass & Wood Display Box placed on the tables and desks.